Monday, March 24, 2008

A Parenthesis: Discerning One's Call to Ministry


If you would, allow me to make a quick interjection into this mini-series on prayer. You will soon notice this block will not deviate far from our discussion. In fact, not only is the issue of discerning one's call to ministry deeply connected to prayer, but my thoughts about to be written spring from the same book from which this mini-series is based, A Call to Spiritual Reformation. I bring up this interlude here because D.A. Carson focuses upon it in while discussing Paul's prayer in 1 Thessalonians 3:9-13, which is my most recent post. To catch our barrings, I will post the relevant portion of Scripture, write Carson's piercing remarks, and conclude with brief observations.

1 Thessalonians 3:1-5
1So when we could stand it no longer, we thought it best to be left by ourselves in Athens. 2We sent Timothy, who is our brother and God's fellow worker[a]in spreading the gospel of Christ, to strengthen and encourage you in your faith, 3so that no one would be unsettled by these trials. You know quite well that we were destined for them. 4In fact, when we were with you, we kept telling you that we would be persecuted. And it turned out that way, as you well know. 5For this reason, when I could stand it no longer, I sent Timothy to find out about your faith. I was afraid that in some way the tempter might have tempted you and our efforts might have been useless.

Carson observes the following important points from Paul's message:

2.) Paul's prayer arises out of passionate affection that seeks the good of others--not their praise, gratitude, acceptance, and still less some sense of professional self-fulfillment...

As someone who has taught seminary students for more than fifteen years, I worry about the rising number of seminarians who, when asked where and how they think they might best serve, respond with something like this: "Well, I think I would like to teach somewhere. Every time I have taught, people have told me I have done a pretty good job. I get a tremendous sense of fulfillment out of teaching the Bible. I think I could be satisfied teaching Scripture."


Let me interject quickly. If you are pursuing ministry of some kind, are these thoughts true of you? I know I have fallen prey to them. If you are already in ministry, do you coddle yourself by banking on kind words others have told you about your gifts? Consider this forthcoming rebuke from Carson:

How pathetic. I know pagans who find satisfaction and fulfillment by teaching nuclear physics. In any Christian view of life, self-fulfillment must never be permitted to become the controlling issue. The issue is service, the service of real people. the question is, How can I be most useful?, not, How can I feel most useful? The goal is, How can I best glorify God by serving his people?, not, How can I feel most comfortable and appreciated while engaging in some acceptable form of Christian ministry? (82-83, Emphasis mine)

After I finished reading this chapter a little over a month ago, I wrote in the top-right corner, "Put in blog." This reason being, quite sadly, is that this is a message I must hear daily. I must be struck between the eyes consistently that my calling to ministry is grounded in the Lord's calling to be a servant for others good and for God's glory. The goal is not ultimately my self-fulfillment. I do want joy, yes, but to seek joy in the way described above is sin, for it is a joy that flows from idolatry. While so-called "serving others," the one you most want to serve is yourself and your desires. Your utmost desire is to be coddled and pampered and to be have your gifts be praised.

No. This will not do for a Christian minister or teacher or bible study leader or mentor. Listen again to Paul: "So when we could stand it no longer,...[we] sent Timothy...to strengthen and encourage you in your faith, so that no one would be unsettled by these trials...For this reason, when I could stand it no longer, I sent to find out about your faith. I was afraid that in some way the tempter might have tempted you and our efforts might have been useless" (1 Thess. 3:1-5, NIV).

May our hearts burn for those to whom we are ministering, not our own starving egos.

No comments: