Saturday, April 18, 2009

Love is the Key to Conquering Anxiety

In Romans 13:8, Paul writes, “Owe no one anything, except to love each other, for the one who loves another has fulfilled the law.” The one who loves has fulfilled the law. What does this mean?

Immediately after this statement, Paul then gives different commands: “You shall not commit adultery, you shall not murder, you shall not steal, you shall not covet, and any other commandment, are summed up in this word: ‘You shall love your neighbor as yourself.’” All commandments (“any other commandment”) are consummated in loving one’s neighbor. I take that to mean that if I commit a sin of omission or commission, the root problem is not that I have a nasty habit I need to kick, but it is that I am not a loving person. Love is the issue, not mental or social conditioning.

Is it really this simple? Let’s take a test case. How about anxiety. We are commanded in Philippians 4:6 not to be anxious about anything. A positive command for anxiety is also given in Proverbs 16:3: “Commit your work to the LORD, and your plans will be established.” If I stray from this command and let the issues of my day overwhelm me, am I loving others?

I do not believe so. When I am anxious, I am not trusting God to provide for me. I am allowing the worries of my life to be ultimate, rather than God’s promises to provide for me to be ultimate. If my worries and concerns are supreme, and if my delight for God is diminished (I am not trusting him!), then how can this attitude point others toward Christ (This is what is most loving)? My attitude will be one of despair and self-pity, causing others to be drawn to my concerns, rather than have a heart-felt trust in God’s sovereign plan despite overwhelming circumstances. That kind of peace will glorify God, and that is loving others.

Today, fulfill the law, and by the Holy Spirit’s aid (Gal 5:22), love others.

No comments: